App Android & iOS
Almocita-Padules The Canales-PR-A360-Beires
The Channel is the main landmark of the trail, where the Andarax river up to Padules, is enclosed between two high rock walls, creating a magical corner. This loop trail also allows us to discover Almócita, Beires Padules and three villages of the Alpujarra, through a route without undue difficulty. The trail starts at Almócita, a small town with lots of charm, very elegant: white houses with poetry on its walls, narrow streets where we accompanied Moorish architecture, window planters, a picturesque church, a town hall and a well located on the original plaza. Let's enter the village, in the center of the poster indicating the start of the trail is On this path we will spend for Almócita, the barring of the Forest, which despite its name, the landscape is barren, but equally beautiful, continue to continue the trail along the river Andarax will continue until Canales, a spectacular place, then Padules reach, after another little while walking arrive at the municipality of Beires. We will have made a tour of the Alpujarra, accompanied by water.
August 16, Beires: Patron saint festivities in honor of San Roque
The Fiestas are celebrated in honor of the patron of Beires, San Roque, August 16. Since always been held on 16,17 and 18 August regardless of the days of the week that fall, but for several years, to be held next week to 16 August. Coinciding with the festivity will usually include Cultural Week. Programming and Cultural week offering is wide: - From games for children such as: children's theaters, foam party, sports workshops ... - Two days of outdoor cinema. - Theatre and parades - Exhibitions normally organized women's association in the municipality (Lilies Andarax) - Domino contests and all kinds of games - Gourmet Competition
Great variety of tapas
Located at the foot of the Sierra Nevada Almeria, in a kind of mountainous amphitheater that overlooks the river valley Andarax, Beires shows that typical image alpujarreña clean white houses, winding streets and steep slopes, but contrasting with the green of the valley and orchards that surround us. The urban area is divided into two neighborhoods, but dominated above by Castillejo or the remains of the Moorish castle, and below, the shrine of the Virgin of the Helpless, or Tres Pueblos, it is revered and situated halfway with Almócita and Padules. It is still in the memory of the hard work in the iron mines of the Sierra, maintained until the sixties of last century, and therefore installed Open Mining Museum for different corners of the village. We want to engage the visitor to our historical memory.
(XVII and XVIII century). Though hidden by lush riparian vegetation fail moisture and water supply The Raft of the pool, we can recognize a functional arch holding the bridge of the same name, built in stone . It is an essential work of civil engineering, enabling the two to communicate Beires slums and as a step in a general way to La Alpujarra. Built between 1682 and 1715, coinciding with the economic and demographic growth of the eighteenth century. The source obtains water from a mine that is introduced about 50 meters on the mountain. Originally supplied a pile of stone cattle trough (hence the name pool), but the flood of the famous "Santa Rosa cloud" of 1871 destroyed it completely and built the current raft.
Fortaleza occupying a plateau and the neighboring continuous forest, leaving remains of walls and a tower treminando. In the highest part of the mountain is a tower built in mud, appears rectangular. The enclosure, rectangular, walled appears. It is a small stone cistern, vaulted masonry.
Cemetery on the hillside, adapted to it, adopting a tiered structure. At the top are the oldest burials, some embovedados with arch in this area appears more a mausoleum burial with three arches, two of them blind, tiled roof. The lower part is occupied by the most recent burials in niches.
Church of Our Lady of Mercy Beires
(XVII Century). His resounding volume highlights on the urban fabric. Outside shows the typical Moorish factory drawers masonry walls alternating with brick rafas and ribbons, culminating with corbelled cornice feature. The cover is a simple arch framed in a rectangular brick, while the door shows the imprint of the past. The present church was built between 1676 and 1679 to replace an earlier, coinciding with an increase in population and economic since the late seventeenth century. However, it will be expanded in the late eighteenth with a new header and the addition of a bell tower in the bell tower. The interior is simple, lacking the altarpiece and imagery, disappeared with the Civil War. Presents a Latin cross, dome on scallops in the cruise and barrel vaults on the decks, according to the characteristic of the Baroque Counter model. Two enigmatic marble slabs on either side of the altar, draw attention. Very close to the church in a rock towards the Town Hall and next to the road, is a mystery. The curious niche carved into the rock once home to a virgin invocation unknown, although its form and function reminiscent of tacas or cupboards of Arab houses known in the Shire.
DOWN MILL BEIRES
Building consisting of three separate two arches bays. Wooden roof and cobbled paving. It retains the two hoppers in its possession and overalls and dirversa machinery of great interest. Taking water from the canal of La Fuente del Nacimiento.
ERAS OF BARRIO ALTO
It was of small dimensions, it paved flagstone. Located at the top of the core.
Ermita de las Animas Beires
To get to our next stop we will make a small suburban drive, but worth it for the enjoyment of the attractive surroundings and the sense of tranquility that overwhelms us. Located on Royal Street, this simple and surprisingly small and attached to the rock with gabled roof, dedicated to the souls in Purgatory and the Virgen del Carmen construction. Here come the relatives and neighbors to pray, put candles and make offerings for the dead, who must save the purgatory through the intercession of the saints and our prayers. It also reminds us that we must always be at peace with God and free from sin, for death awaits us at any time. But it also served as a shrine for God entrusted to your trip, always dangerous at the time. Located at the entrance to the village on the old road to La Alpujarra this construction is linked to the heavy load of popular religiosity Andarax entire valley from the martyrs of the War of the Alpujarras and the Catholic Counter-Reformation Council of Trent (between 1545 and 1563). After restocking the land after the Moorish expulsion of 1570 proceeded in the reconstruction of temples. The occurrence in dreams of souls procession, in the late seventeenth century, the Archbishop of Granada Pedro Vaca de Castro y Quiñones, asking him not to forget the night and the appearance of bright lights, like a procession that roamed these mountains were considered manifestations of alpujarreñas souls, so that the spread of cults around the martyrs and the Blessed Souls soon spread. The idea that the living had to meet their dead beat, because they do not appear claiming the souls salvation. This devotion was channeled through guilds souls that emerged from 1594, achieved unusual success in the Alpujarra. Over the following centuries this cult was maintained and promoted by the Church saw this as a way to earn income.
Flock of Cows
Excellent landscape oak, shale cliffs and pine reforestation.
Masonry building, greatly transformed. According to locals, machinery conserves.
MILL OF RAYMOND
Mill consists of a large square interior space, where the roof is supported by pillars. Still retains some of the equipment, including grinding stones.
MILL RIVER BEIRES
Remains of old mill possible cube, built in masonry. On this, a small unit appears in ruins.
Set short and transcendentally dumps that have transformed the medium, appearing now in the process of natural recovery with pioneer species and afforestation.
Set short, mouths gallery mineral processing and infrastructure, for the use of hematite and other minerals. Stresses conical masonry structure, closed by high walls at the head of Canyon Carmona, restored cistern remains of outbuildings and cable landing station transport María-Ocaña.
Museum open "Memory Mining Beires"
This stop is integrated into the urban route but also in the Open Museum "Memory Beires Mining", which develops six stops in the village, through a museum in the streets. Leveraging extensions or plazas, recreates the historical memory of the iron ore mining developed during the late nineteenth and twentieth sixties. Indeed the brightest moment in the history of Beires be the nineteenth century and the early decades of the mining boom, especially with the boundary of iron mining in the mountains, at 1800 meters, transported to the station María by a system of overhead wires across 16 kms. Although this exploitation did virtually disappear oaks of the mountains, it is also true that mines Virgen del Rosario, Virgen de la Palmera Tices or give tabajo large number of neighbors. The aftermath of the closure before the Civil War will be unemployment and emigration, from the local population of about 200 600 inhabitants scarce today. Each stop has a board recreating a scene and an illustrative panel. The itinerary for the different scenes can understand the development, rise and crisis of this unknown Beires iron mining. A mining which involved engineers and entrepreneurs English, French and German. We suggest an exciting, unknown history of social and economic importance, it is worth knowing. Then we invite you to continue on our urban route marked on the Tourist Information Point, located opposite, and directed through the traces marked on the ground. We hope the experience will be pleasant and constitutes an excuse to return to Beires.
Path Sulayr GR-240 Step 11 Cerecillo-La Polarda
We approached the eastern end of Sierra Nevada through mid hills and ravines slope between the peaks of Almirez Vulture and Polarda, and peoples of the Alto Andarax: Laujar, Fondón, Beires and Ohanes, by the terms Sulayr passes. Trails and forest roads the route is diverse and contrasting, represented by pine afforestation, valuable with ancient oaks, areas of old-mountain, open space in the hills and shady ravines lush riparian vegetation. For much of the journey we will enjoy wonderful views over this privileged corner of Eastern Andalusia, where the highest mountain in stark contrast to the Mediterranean sea horizon. To top this scenic route from the Polarda have a bird's eye view the Cabo de Gata and the Bay of Almería, the orchard Andarax Valley and the impressive limestone mass of the Sierra de Gador.
PLAZA DE BEIRES
Large square around the front and left side of the church. It has a run of work, perimeter, with safety rail bank. Concrete paving. Presents a large open central space. ent to the front of the church, fountain recently remodeled along with the pavement.
Set of two embovedas mines, built in masonry. The right would mine about 15-20m depth and the left reaches 100m. The water is collected by a ditch or Tarjea that leads to the pool raft.
RAFT GREAT WALL
Balsa large irrigation. Fail one of the walls of the highway bridge to form one side. It has three large buttresses, one retains its structure intact.
RAFT OF THE POOL
Almost rectangular raft, large, built with masonry wall. Collect water from a vaulted birth, also masonry by a ditch about 65m in length.
RAMON EL MILLER MILL
Molinol only retains some of the old building at the roof have collapsed. Powered by the water of the canal from the Source of Birth. Some elements, like stones, are scattered around.
Rio Andarax (Beires)
Scrubland. Mining. Irrigated agricultural terracing.