Urban route Laujar Andarax "The Auxar" - Route I
To make this urban route through the town of Andarax Laujar you should head to the starting point which is located in the Tourist Information Point (PIT) is located in Laujar pergola next to the main square of La Alpujarra, which will let you know the identity of the local culture. We suggest two routes through the urban area to enjoy its outstanding assets, routes to be guided through the visible traces in the soil in the form of ceramic, clearly marking him turns to perform and access to places most representative .
These two routes are different but complementary. The first is "The Auxar" Laujar original term, which means cave or mountain, and we described the Christian urban expansion from the sixteenth century through ceramic tiles on the floor green. The second is "The Hizán" a term that means castle and describes the original Islamic urbanism to the east of the town, guided with yellow pieces.
We hope the experience will be pleasant and constitutes an excuse to return.
- Mirador de la Vega It allows a wide view of Sierra de Gador and vega High Andarax, while Sierra Nevada is behind us. A look to the left allows us to identify and Fondón Source Victoria. Today dominate the landscape olive, almond and especially vineyards, allowing known wines of the region.
- City of Laujar Andarax (XVIII century). This magnificent neoclassical building, dominates the Plaza Mayor of Las Alpujarras. It was built in 1792 under the reign of Charles IV, by architect Francisco Quintillán Lois and expresses the reforms of enlightened despotism and the desire to strengthen local government. We are facing an imposing building for its time and rural context, showing a classical facade with a symmetrical composition with three levels of open galleries with arches, separated by six large pillars, and served as a model for the facade of the town hall Berja. The clock and belfry with bell metal are 1902.
- Fountain Square (XVII Century). The sources are a symbol of Laujar and we will find many on our tour, diverse in their type and design. Back to the seventeenth century and especially the eighteenth illustrated with hygienic improvements to create a public supply. The aim was to end the direct use of water from irrigation ditches and create with these sober representative buildings urban spaces. This fountain, built in 1684, has a special interest in offering a stone relief with the oldest representation of municipal heraldry: a sailboat with a crow, considered as an attribute of San Vicente, Laujar pattern and the door of a fortress, which is related to the ancient citadel of the population. The ornamental recharging which holds seeks to exalt the power of the Crown, featuring a large bracket and two side anthropomorphic masks from where the pipes.
- Casa del Vicario (XVII Century). It's a great example of a palatial house down gentry of the Old Regime. The strong bleaching of the facade does not prevent sticking perceive Factory Mudejar brick masonry with drawers. Top gallery sun arches seen in relation to the cameras features food, typical of ancient rural dwellings. The facade shows a classical symmetry of the distribution of gaps, highlighting the cover and railings as prestige items. On the central balcony of the coat of arms Yanguas family, possibly belonged to the house, and called attention to a curious mask appears on the ledge. The interior of the house, in line with the typology of the time, is organized around a courtyard with perimeter gallery on columns, currently covered as a coffer or patio lights but originally, I will be open. After observing the interesting property, we retrace our steps to resume the beaten path. At this point we will come across traces of the second route, marked in yellow, so be careful not to make mistakes and follow the green path.
- Church of the Incarnation in Laujar Andarax (XVII Century). Known, due to its size, as the "Cathedral of La Alpujarra" and built in 1672 on a former building, is a good example of how, as happened in the house of the vicar, the Mudejar art survives in the Baroque era. The walls have traditional masonry factory drawers rafas between courses and brick. The tower also has the Mudejar invoice with the presence of the arch framing the gaps. But it is inside where fully exposed Baroque program with a Latin cross Counter typically one large ship suitable for massive celebrations plant and chapels between the buttresses for personal devotions. Is covered with a barrel vault with lunettes, while the cruise makes a dome on pendentives. In the main altar retablo striking mid-eighteenth century, imposing stage set of religious services, which highlights the central manifestador. Art Shows typical baroque ways, which reaches out to the faithful through a cluster of sensations. After visiting the church we retrace our steps to resume the route marked by Church Street. To continue our walk will follow the old Real street The Auxar, now called Church Street, heading west.
- Convent of San Pascual Baylon (XVII Century yXVIII). It was built by the Franciscans between 1691 and 1708 and it had the support of the people and of the Marquesses of Laujar Iniza that reserved burial in the chapel of the convent church. The church, preserved in place until just a few decades ago, was covered with a dome over the crossing and barrel vaults. The rest of the building was devoted to the residence of the friars and develops around a cloister square plan. The convent was sold off and sold in 1822 and was recently Guardia Civil barracks, but today shows a total abandonment and ruin.
- Pilar Glen (XVII Century). This unique baroque fountain shows a pillar of black marble and features a superb noble coat of white marble. It is the crest of one of the most powerful families in La Alpujarra in those dates, Rodríguez Chacón and Valdivia, Marquis of Iniza, repobladores it arrived in Paterna del Río but extended their properties by the county, settling in neighboring Berja but extender'na your domain and power far beyond. From this period are the many fountains and pillars that dot the urban fabric, reminding the magnificent waters from the nearby Sierra Nevada and hygienic improvements of a public supply, ending the direct use of water from irrigation ditches, plus allow these buildings create a representative urban spaces. It is worth exploring the variety of sources Laujar, different designs, types and ages, but all with a special taste that will not disappoint.
- House of Moya (XVIII century). Built in 1732, belonged to a wealthy noble family, whose coat dominates the facade. The building responds to the model of the manor house Casa del Vicario, but the highlight is the magnificent home, where we mention its construction by Mr. Agustín Gómez de Valdivia and is decorated with an inscription as referring to crosses and brackets the anagram of Ave Maria, reminding martyrdom permanent presence in La Alpujarra.
- Pilar dry (XVII Century). Raised in 1688, this Pilar Seco or Calvache is the most monumental Laujar source and, despite its name, it is said, never left him well water. It has large limestone blocks and the trough the front body rises with two pipes, inserts of zoomorphic reliefs. Formerly the pillar was free in the public placeta, but today is attached to housing.
- Ermita de la Virgen de la Salud (XVIII century). Primitively here the small chapel of San Sebastian and Santa Barbara was located, but in the late seventeenth two hermits built a new building to worship the image of the Virgen de la Salud, which was to defend the residents of the periodic epidemics of plague and This is at the entrance to the town, as a defense against evil. To be completed in 1703. The building has a Latin cross plan with domed and barrel vault on the cruise ship, highlighting the dressing room with the Virgin of Health at the altar. Then we can go down the street Virgin Health (school side) to return to the square Laujar, or we can prolong our way around the popular bullring, inaugurated by Gitanillo de Triana in 1912.
- Big Ermita de las Animas (Iglo XIX). It was built in the late nineteenth century by Patricio Asensio Montero with his house and occupying part of the garden based on a promise. Located at the entrance to the town, reminds us of the heavy load of popular religiosity Andarax entire valley from the martyrs of the War of the Alpujarras and the Catholic Counter-Reformation Council of Trent encouraging us to intercede for the souls in purgatory. By location, also served as a shrine to seek divine protection against the always dangerous travel time.
- The shed Sheds or "bridge house", also called "porches or tinaos" covering the streets and integrated apples alpujarreñas ancient populations, are among the most distinctive architectural elements of traditional architecture alpujarreña. Let soften harsh climate in winter and summer in the streets, prepare and download beast covered, and were very useful for everyday tasks such as sewing or preparing fruits for preservation.
- Railing pillar and House Sobrerería (XIX and XX centuries). Here we will find two prints on the ground to differentiate the two representative elements of the stop. The Pillar of Bannister presents the peculiarity of its tiered structure, which allows the trough of beasts on the lower level while the higher the drinking water criteria within hygienists in public services, imposed during the century XIX. Near the pillar is the home of ancient headgear, the best building of eclectic architecture of the municipality of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, where recercamiento and regularity of the distribution of the holes, besides the general decorativismo of facade, become characteristic elements of bourgeois property. Curiously tradition indicates that the mansion here that Aben Humeya, leader of the Moorish rebellion of 1568 severely crushed in 1570, was killed by his cousin Aben Aboo was.