Urban route Bentarique
To make this urban route through the town of Bentarique you should head to the starting point which is located in the Tourist Information Point (PIT) that is located in the park at the entrance of the village coming from Illar, that will allow you the hallmarks of the local culture. We propose a circular by the urban fabric to enjoy its outstanding assets itinerary, tour will be guided through the visible traces in the soil in the form of ceramic, clearly marking him turns to perform and access to most places representative. We hope the experience will be pleasant and constitutes an excuse to return.
- Damian House (XIX-XX Centuries). We are in the Paseo Doctor Pérez 2 to a simple bourgeois house of the late nineteenth century, with a facade on one level, but in reality we presented two heights in the rear because it stands on a plot of very hilly. The classical design is clear, with a central door framed between two lateral compartments lattices whose simplicity contrasts with the recharged ledge that acts as the upper roof parapet. But most of its architectural interest, this house keeps a long list of stories and memories. For example, in its low diligence connecting to the capital was kept, was subsequently Damien Bar and most recently hosted the first Manual telephone switchboard of the people, information and communication center of a small rural community. Later, in the seventies he moved here the first Village nightclub, now closed.
- Doña Encarnación Salvador (Before Medical Salvador José Andrés) (XIX century). This spacious home with primary at Constitution Square facade is a magnificent example of the bourgeois architecture of the late nineteenth century, with the model house with two floors and an eclectic composition of the facade, which combines classic and symmetrical composition in distribution of holes with a decorative simplicity in recuadramiento with segmented and molded arches. The doorway leads into a hall with frescoes and friezes of the inner door after we enter the inner courtyard or coffer, which organizes the housing around it, but with the novelty sustained by wooden beams on footings embedded in the side walls , which placed this home as an intermediate model between the types and stately homes with fully bourgeois nineteenth century covered patio. Despite the recent name of Ms. Encarnación Salvador, we must go back to an ancestor, the physician Joseph Salvador Andrew, an important also local businessman who founded a nearby flour mill and manufacturing industry gunpowder and dynamite to mine the mountain in 1883. But also a political commitment (in 1890 listed as Chairman of the Republican Committee Progesista Party Canjayar and Councillor) and social (he helped found a school for adults, for which requested advice Father Manjon, and ceded lands for Community work for workers close to the social doctrine of the Church) attitude, something very unusual in speculative and individualistic bourgeoisie of the moment.
- Mirador Ride This balcony Andarax River is a particularly suggestive of attractive views. On the one hand the recreational sports complex of La Alameda, where Bentarique mill, now a restaurant is located. Across the river and to the west a small hill crowned by a farmhouse with a group of pines, corresponds to the first prehistoric settlement in the area. Further away, a giant plane tree tells us the location of the ancient baths of La Posnilla. Further east, a couple of kms, the Cerro de Marchena houses the remains of what was the ancient citadel of the same name, the center of political and military power of all medieval and modern taha.
- Church of the Assumption of Bentarique (XVII Century). The volume of the slender church dominates the urban fabric. We are faced with the simplest model of a alpujarreña Mudejar church, consisting of a single nave with chancel differentiated by triumphal arch model suitable to the needs of a small rural community, but with the novelty of having a late chapel erected in 1823 to enhance the transcendent and magical space of the main altar by a lighted room for the image, a way to stand out even more popular, feature religiosity Andarax entire valley. Also in 1860 the present tower, topped by a unique spherical cap, to replace the previous one destroyed by the 1804 earthquake rises. The characteristic elements of Moorish technology functionality and cheapness are looking exteriors walls built rig mixed tape drawers alternating with brick masonry, and especially the roof of the nave and the chancel by armor lime bead paths, characterized by four skirts structure and arrangement of a single beam or lime on the edge union of the flaps, plus the provision of a almizate or horizontal structure in the center of the frame. For the cover of the main altar of the frieze and the canes are hidden by the nineteenth-century works of reinforcement. This temple was built in the early seventeenth century to replace an earlier one started in 1530 and was completely looted during the bloody Moorish rebellion of 1568. Before the construction of the new church, the old mosque was temporarily enabled. Also noteworthy is the provision in the sacristy a paneled ceiling or flat wooden deck resting on beams and dogs of different age and type, or exterior decoration with sgraffito drawings or reliefs applied to masonry drawers to give greater texture to wall. After visiting inside the temple we return something our steps to continue the urban route marked by the footprints on the floor.
- Walk Station Located in the urban edge as a lookout over the river and the valley also identifies gullies on clay materials that manifest generated by the dismantling of the wadis action. It is the area of \u200b\u200bthe caves as it moves our way become more profuse. The strong contrast between the landscape and irrigation sub-desert upland, now occupied by lush orange groves is appreciated. Continuing along the left side of the cemetery, just a few hundred feet of this to arrive Barrilería.
- Barrillería of Alembic (Siglo XIX-XX). The cultivation of table grapes was a massive culture Andarax Valley during the nineteenth century and much of the twentieth. The special strength of the most common variety, the "Grape Boat", allowed export to European and American markets, and to endure the long journey, the bunches carefully treated, were packaged between cork sawdust in small wooden barrels which led to an interesting and fruitful ancillary industry in the valley: the barrilerías. The development of refrigerated trucks and boats put paid to this specialty, what competition finest leather and grain varieties, joined to wipe a culture and industry that failed to adapt to changing markets. One of the best witnesses of that time and this activity is barrilería of The Alembic, so named because it stands a small brandy distillery, and which also has the added attraction of being located in a traditional cave. Here are plans to install the future Museum of Bentarique Powder, a characteristic action of this town for centuries. Us not forget that after the next stop, we retrace our steps to continue the urban route.
- Chapel of San José was or (XIX century). Located opposite a field, today Plaza de San José, where they had an ancient community were currently found this little chapel of a single nave with a barrel vault and polygonal head in bathroom area. Today it is used by the parishioners of the village but originally would be the former private chapel of the nearby Casa Grande, as reflected in the gap in the chorus at the foot and allowing a direct and private access for Mass and take communion. The easy access cover has a round arch framed by two columns of the composite order holding a small ledge with two pinnacles and above tejaroz niche with a sober and a steeple with bell matters worse. If we keep falling down the street Luchana back to the starting point of our urban route.
- Casa Grande Bentarique (XVIII-XIX Century). Although at the end of the route this stop brings us to one of the stately homes of the Old Regime The most important Alpujarra. In the Plaza de San José or find a home was larger and contrasts with the rest of civil buildings Andarax medium. It is a wonderful example of neoclassical home late eighteenth century, linked to the rural nobility, but with obvious compositional resources bourgeois tradition, clearly showing the evolution of the types of the Old Manor housing scheme models the bourgeois nineteenth century, where comfort, privacy and a more homey interiors become references. The prestige and representativeness of the Orta family, former landlords and property owners, are linked to a number of elements of neoclassical tradition unequivocally giving prestige and representation present in the façade: the front lintel and framed by Ionic pilasters, as central composition and covering two floors of the building, the so framed with blocks angled in corner, cornice dust above the lintel of the voids, recercados and distributed regularly and symmetrically according to the classical principles of composition; ledge separation plants, or the importance of holding the wrought iron railings of the balcony ledge. However survival items are a huge baroque gargoyles, the flared molduración the holes and plant indeferenciación. The two-storey building stands behind the cover featured a vestibule and its monumental portal through a pavement with large stone slabs, while also projecting disposal of a trapdoor in the ceiling near the door, to control from the first floor visitors callers to enter. The stables would be located in the rear with direct access from the street .. The architecture is a tool for power and classicism and history provide social prestige, embodied in the exterior design of the house. But inside there is an element of bourgeois tradition linked to the pursuit of comfort. It is the provision of a skylight or patio lights as forming the internal space and dealer room, a clear evolution of the old open courtyard of the baroque to create a passive solar house model homes. Here below find plaster walls and wooden beams, footings, suggesting an initial presence of an open courtyard, then turned into a covered patio or coffer.