Bourgeois Road and Stately Homes
Welcome to Fondón, you have chosen the heritage route of stately homes and bourgeois, with the idea to get close to a set of remarkable houses of the seventeenth to nineteenth centuries.
The duration of the ride is estimated at 60 minutes and must continue tiles with tower in red, that you have at your feet, and remind you that each asset will have the opportunity to save an audio descargaros.
- Old Granary-Hall Wheat and bread were the basic livelihood of the population during the old regime, so that the oscillations in the harvest and the price had an impact on the population, leading to famine and social upheaval. This led to the deposits or grain stores were built to avoid times of scarcity, speculation and usury and its accumulation in private hands. Often they were also used as weapons arsenal to store gunpowder and neighbors. The old granary, and later the town hall, is a 1790 building, designed by architect Juan de Mata Velasco, and rose over an older building, the first half of the seventeenth century. Its construction coincided with the font, which was a huge effort for the council or council then explicable only by the accumulation of agricultural and mineral rents and increasing population. The building has two floors, walls plastered and whitewashed drawers covering masonry and brick and shingled hipped. The windows and balconies adopt an irregular arrangement on the walls, and just decoration, some broad overhang, such as balconies, ledges and simple iron railings. The front door opens between pilasters supporting a wide, molded cornice terminating in a tejaroz. The right end of the facade at the level of the main floor is a lintel and open gallery, surrounded by iron railings. This underlines the vast right half passage, popularly known as "Arc of the Market", covered by two barrel vaults, which connects the Plaza Poeta Bernardo Martín del Rey Street Gardens, which corresponds to a subsequent constructive moment, the first third of the nineteenth century
- Godoy House Laureano This remarkable building is mid-eighteenth century. The history of this house date back to 1689, when he was a moral garden that the city bought its owner to give more breadth to the square and the church door. But shortly after the notary Godoy Laureano solar Aguilera claimed as his, and try build the house, the council banned. In 1752, once the municipal opposition, were working the foundations of this house, which also send build the scribe, the son of the former, and Arevalo Godoy Laureano, very influential personality in the entire second half of the eighteenth century. In this house were born Joaquín Godoy Manrique, senator at the time of Isabel II, and Emiliano Godoy Godoy, Almeria important painter of the late nineteenth century. Urbanistically, shows the change in importance of Plaza Alta or Don Francisco Campos, the old square of the sixteenth century, the new space in the eighteenth century that was being built. Architecturally highlights that give the intense color drawers framed in whitewashed brick masonry. It is curious how the cover is off center and moved to the right half of the main facade. The front door is framed between two pillars of brick and stone on both sides with two hollow cantilever bars are arranged, on the first floor there is a balcony over the front door with iron railing and topped by a pediment with coat of Godoy, the side windows show similar to the lower floor grates, and are also topped by pediments. All around the house at the second floor gallery of arches framed by pilasters. The interesting side facade shows a barred window similar to those previously discussed, in the first floor level, a balcony with iron railing and geminados hollow arches, supported on a column; same layout on the second floor, but lower height.
- Church of San Andrés Built before 1560, its original appearance, and until the second half of the eighteenth century, should be very similar to the church of San Juan Evangelista Paterna del Río, completed in 1548: basilica plan divided into three aisles by three arches on pillars , a foot high choir, chancel square differentiated transverse arch and straight head, brick walls combined with mamposteríal drawers, and a set of armor composed of a rectangular files in the central nave, two side lean-to square and other files on the chancel. Outwardly, and attached to the temple by the side of the head tower stood. It was from 1760 when they began to undertake the transformations that have given the temple its present appearance. The first was the construction of the chapel of Christ the Light, and we discussed at another stop. The second major change was the concealment of their armor by baroque domes, plaster and hurdle by Juan José Fernández Bravo. Both the nave and the side, is a molduración entablature, with transverse arches and lunettes. The last post was occupied by a large choir loft with two stands, on a basket arch, decorated with geometric stucco. On the platform side of the gospel in 1796 placed the body by Tomás Pavón, and took the box from the previous organ, 1760, likely the work of Joaquín Jiménez. The chapel was covered with a vaulted ceiling decorated with stucco moldings paired arranged radially from a central star. The third transformation is that the temple has more personality. A tower is too late eighteenth raised because no sooner heard the bells throughout the town and valley. It was very important to listen well to regulate irrigation and administration of medicines to the sick. The result was a tall slender tower reminiscent of western Andalusia, and highlight the body sobrecampanas, octagonal pilasters flanking the openings, and roof or spire is covered with slate tiles or scales. This tower is undoubtedly the emblem and pride of the whole village. In the Civil War most of its historical and artistic heritage was destroyed: images, altarpieces, paintings, jewelry, ...
- Dressing room It was from 1760 when they began to undertake the transformations that have given the temple its present appearance. The first was the construction of the chapel of Christ the Light at the top of the building, changing the spatial sense, quite the Baroque style, and where are the paintings of his false dome by the Grenadian painter Diego Sanchez Sarabia in 1779 and typology of "tower" of Eastern Andalusia few examples. On a arched passageway allowing the passage by the street rose with the help of the alms of the people this dressing room to accommodate the image of Christ, previously worshiped in a small side chapel. Outwardly feigned stones decorated with sgraffito, and on top painted with trompe-l'oeil simulating brick pilasters along the windows. Inside the paintings represent marble walls and draperies, and the heavenly vault with the Holy Trinity in the cupola. In the Civil War easel paintings were destroyed.
- House on the Square Fountain Girl This elegant hotel was built in the second half of the eighteenth century. Its plot is remarkable amplitude relative to the average size of the buildings in the town of approximately square and three stories, featuring the old facade placeta Cross of Souls, and the side of Avenida Cristobal Guerrero . The interior contains some interesting elements, such as the stairwell, in three shots, covered by a magnificent barrel vault with lunettes fajones and decorated with stucco rosettes, which mimics the central nave of the parish, and that is contemporary. The main facade distributes its gaps in three areas, all of relative amplitude and trellises, the ends of the ground floor have been recently modified, and originally offered with wide overhanging eaves covered, the rest are balconies, highlighting the central axis, on ledges molded and trimmed plates and combs with vegetative elements in relief between the side balconies. Almost unique in the county is the cover, framed by Tuscan-Doric entablature with triglyphs and metopes and columns. The eaves of some length, reinforced at the corners with groups of three irons in S. A mid-nineteenth century the rich marriage of D. Bueso Bernardo and María Josefa Rivas bought it from the heirs of D. José Sánchez Guillén, who belonged to cure since the beginning of the century. There are still elderly Fondón that tell the legend of how Bernard, carpenter and small businessman, after a trip to Granada in search of work, met a strange man who told him about the existence of a hidden treasure Fondón gardening, and that was the beginning, once found, to his immense fortune, one of the largest of Almería in the second half of the nineteenth century.
- Oliver House This is a construction possibly late eighteenth century. It has the distinction of occupying a very irregular plot, so its facade breaks into a concave angle. Their materials offer us the solution found so often in the county: with chains masonry brick, plastered and whitewashed, so dominates a very sharp color contrast. The three holes, rather broadly, in each of the three plants, decoration concentrated. The downstairs has a simple brick framed, highlighting the broad cantilever gate and it reaches the ground level. We highlight the balconies, cornices supported by brick, with iron railings, with beautiful filigree center, reinforced by three elements of the same material as S. Outstanding inside the stairwell of two sections, covered by a dome, there is also stucco reliefs with geometrical patterns on the lower surface of the windows. Retains the original wooden frames holding the roof. Its owner in the first half of the nineteenth century was Antonio Alcalá Alamo, illustration industrial enrichment from a gentleman no origin.
- House in Calle Huerta A mid-nineteenth century. With double façade to Huertas Street and Avenida Cristobal Guerrero, current two floors (third had demolished the mid-twentieth century) appeared until recently remodeling differentiated by the different treatment of the walls: rig simulated stones in ground floor, and plastered and whitewashed on the first floor. Pilasters of low projection which become attached at the corners, and the railing of the balcony, serve to frame the whole. Rejerías highlights of the balconies on the first floor and cover with decorative plate Recercada. Inside a spacious courtyard with a gallery supported on beams on corbels, and various rejerías preserved beautifully crafted. It was probably built by the major trader and owner Restoy Antonio D. Martin, representative of the burgeoning local mining bourgeoisie the moment.
- Captain Juan Godoy House This house was built by the clerk and captain D. Godoy and Juan Ramirez, in 1662, being the ancestral home of this noble family, whose facade was his coat of arms. This important family in local history featured a series of scribes and notaries from the seventeenth to the twentieth century. Some of its members were also famous painters. And there was no lack of provincial and national political stature. Stand on its facade the lintel cover under a ledge that supports the quite original central mixtilíneo balcony in the county, and a semicircular balcony preserved on the right. Inside interesting elements of what was an arcaded courtyard of considerable size are preserved. As in other houses in this legends also speak of treasures found by their owners to work on their walls, important enough to buy significant estates and farms.
- House of D. Walter Maclellan This house is probably from the late eighteenth or early nineteenth centuries, and it highlights certain classical elements. Had three levels, and three holes in each of them, based on which the decoration is ordered. Downstairs, the cover was made by a molded frame and framed between two pilasters, on both sides, large voids simple recercado, with typical gate cantilever and separated from the street level by small stone plinths, preserved in the Palace House Godoyas. On the first floor, three balconies have iron railing and cornices are supported on two brackets with volutes, which coincide with the top of the bars downstairs. On the other central balcony ledge on scrolled brackets available. The three second floor balconies are quite sober. The side facade had two holes with cantilever gate on the first floor, and three round arches, which recuerdaban other houses galleries of the population. It was built by D. Francisco Antonio Carmona and Vela, cure Fondón between 1761 and 1806. His nephews sold it after inheriting it, Mr Gabriel Martin Garbín and Ms. Ana Godoy Ramirez important family of lead smelters and mines and land owners. During the Civil War, Walter D. Maclellan, diplomat and a British citizen married to the owner of this house, I did a balcony wave the flag of their country, and to rid the looting in the early stages of the conflict occurred in this type housing. Like most houses of this kind has numerous legends. They say that the administrator of their owners in the late nineteenth century, in collusion with a mason by order of the family many years before had hidden treasure in the house, threw the housekeeper to recover the treasure without witnesses and allocated among both.
- House of Godoyas This beautiful three-story house distributes its windows and balconies carefully scoring three axes or streets. All the decorative interest focuses on the core, which emphasizes the cover of stonework. On the cover a cornice serves to support the center, large balcony, with strong iron railing. The Hollow repeated identical provision balcony to front, framed by a kind of heavily molded frame. The second floor is solved by an arched gallery framed by pilasters, the, largest, central arch is completely blind to receive a coat of marble Del Moral family. In the lateral axes include bars in wide overhang, beautifully decorated the first floor. The interior environment is open to a central courtyard. The upper gallery is supported on four columns of white marble, with carved wooden bases with geometric patterns. In a corner of the staircase, in two sections, decorated with the coat of paint mural Del Moral family, and two arches supported by a column of white marble that lead to the upper gallery opens. Adjacent to the house is kept a garden, like many others that this type of rich mansions had, and working as an extension of the home, recreation area and even as small subsistence gardening. Other homes similar scheme can be found in the region, in places like Ugíjar Ohanes or Laujar Andarax. It was built in the late seventeenth or early eighteenth century, probably by the family of Captain D. Francisco del Moral and his wife Doña Francisca Campos, very important members of noble families descended from the settlers, who, after the expulsion of the Moors, Fondón reached in 1572, mostly from Valdepeñas de Jaén. In 1988 the owner and the family council reached an agreement, after its restoration by a vocational college, make this property a shared use. Thus the family is inhabiting it, on the top floor, and the rest of the building is now a house museum.
- Oil press This building dates back to at least the mid-seventeenth century, when it was known as the Casa de la Torrecilla. In the eighteenth century still retained the tower. This defensive element, perhaps witness the events of the revolt of the Moriscos of La Alpujarra, must be hidden in actual construction. From its facade stand bars wide overhang, so characteristic of the stately homes of Fondón. Inside you can admire a simple but very well maintained yard, with four stone pillars that supported a gallery, now blinded and a stone floor with decorative fretwork. It is very interesting connection, from the patio, with the building of the mill building erected on the garden of the house in 1806, and maintains the traditional technology. Thanks to one of its owners, Captain Don Juan Gabriel del Moral, who wrote his memoirs in the early nineteenth century, we know many historical events in the life of the people, and whose house was one of the main sites.
- House Isidro del Moral This house can be traced back at least to the eighteenth century and is one of the best in the Old Town of the Canal. This is a typical family home of wealthy farmers, large and has a landscaped garden. This house is connected from the nineteenth century to family stewardship of San Isidro and Santa María de la Cabeza, founded by Juan Gabriel del Moral in s. XVIII. His son, Francisco Vázquez Felipe del Moral, ancestor of the present owners, and lived a century and a half ago. Inside the room of the saint, which traditionally were made and sealed breeches which parted at his party remains.
- House of D. Pepe Martinez This house stands in 1840 the D. Nicolas Gimenez, a senior member of the local oligarchy, mainly devoted to the business of mining lead. It is one of the best preserved examples of bourgeois house in Fondón. And large landscaped garden, contains interesting elements like the front door, the railing in front, a paved hall, cellar and traditional historicist decoration moldings and fireplaces inside.
- La Fuente Grande This pillar is a truly remarkable work, characterized by being the only known example of completely free, of classicist monumental fountain, built in stone and conglomerate sillarejos in the county. It has two fronts, corresponding to the main human and animal use rear. The main facade, which faces the square, has three stacks to accommodate the pitchers on that drain the three pipes shaped bronze lion's head. Above these pipes white marble headstone with the following inscription was placed: "Mr Dn Reynando Carlos IV Year 1790 this work was done." The back, looking at Almeria Street, is structurally similar but less ornate, with two pipes that drain over a large basin-trough. The whole is surmounted by two balls on plinths, and in the center a royal crown on the shield of Spain, giving the front and rear a tombstone referred to the governing authorities at the time and the method of financing the work. La Fuente Grande is one of the two pillars of the Council Fondón built in 1790 to replace two tanks since Moorish times served to supply water to the population and producing many health problems. The project is also justified by morality, to end appointments and meetings Couple in reservoirs paragraphs under the guise of bringing water. The author of the project was the master architect Antonio Francisco Quintillán and Lois, member of the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando. The project included bringing water directly through a pipe of about 5,000 yards from the springs of Sierra Gador to two pillars. The amount of the work amounted to 60,000 reais. The work was led by Mayor Juan Gabriel del Moral. The pillar was inaugurated on December 12, 1790, with a civic-religious ceremony, "general joy and applause from both neighborhoods, whose natural expressed thousand expressions of joy for having achieved the remedy of many temporal and spiritual evils which have experienced in this town for the misuse of drinking water from the two reservoirs of the population outside the walls ", as stated in the documentation of the period. It is an example of the action of the Enlightenment of the eighteenth century, in this case, to ensure public health, and shows the economic and demographic development of Fondón of those years. It is also the only known example of free source of these dimensions in the county, and this originality must add its main feature: two spaces differentiation in human and animal consumption.