CHURCH OF BIRTH

Church Latin cross plan, with walls of masonry between rafas drawers and brick ribbons. The nave, transept and chancel are covered with a barrel vault and transept with a dome.

The façade has a flare on each side of the cover oculus and is topped by a pediment with oculus, formed by the roof pitch. The main entrance, brick, offers two bodies: the lower door with segmented arch framed by Tuscan pilasters, entablature and broken pediment. The second section repeats the pattern around a niche. The lateral portal also repeating pattern, but is blinded and seems to have lost the pediment; originality displayed as a frieze decorated with diamonds.

The header shows an interesting play of volumes due to the staggering of the roofs and the tower is at the epistle side, leaning to the angle between the nave and transept. Square in plan, stands to the old belfry, having on each side two pilasters on each side of blinded vain. On this the new belfry stood, a vain semicircular recess framed by a rectangle on each side, and surmounted by a hemispherical cap with pedestals in the corners.

The upper end of the chancel retains some interesting murals.

Dedicated to N ª S ª of Sorrows.

Location
At the heart of the town center, presides over the main square.
Historical Aspects

In the middle of the eighteenth century had 120 Birth neighbors and lacked a building worthy to celebrate worship. His church was a rectangular room walls of earth, without plastering or sun, with a bell and a bit of room for sacristy, all made by neighbors. In this situation, the greatest teacher Juan José Fernández Bravo in 1755 designed a church of 27 x 8 m. Approximately, with vestry and tower. Two years later, the work was up to the coping.

According to Father Tapia Garrido, the parish was created on February 1754, as Archbishop of Granada Salamanca don Onesimus, who had as pastor to the Augustinian Fray Jaime de Jesús María. For this author, Jaime fray was the "temple builder" and enlisted the help of Canon del Sacromonte Don and Don Diego de Heredia Paschasius Bathrooms and Ortega, twenty of Granada. From our point of view, the pastor must be the position of workers, ie, take economic control and materials for the work.

In the first half of the nineteenth century the pastor lacked institutional support to begin the rebuilding of the temple. In 1849 he managed to raise the chapel with the support of the neighborhood, but soon stalled for lack of funds, yet to be done by subtracting the better half of the cruise and part of the ceiling of the nave. Finally help was requested and was appointed Archbishop Jose Contreras for the recognition of the work. Coinciding with these works, the tower would rise with a new set of bells.

Bibliography

SANCHEZ REAL. The religious architecture of Las Alpujarras: A little known heritage. Al, 2000/TAPIA Garrido. . General history and its province of Almeria, T. XIII. Almería. Caja de Ahorros de Almería, 1990.

Current Use
Church
Current Protection
NO
Environment Quality

The church is surrounded by a housing and two heights. Samples of folk architecture, some of which have historical elements, but not all offer good condition.

Condition
8
Condition

A few years ago the tower was repaired, however, presents problems of moisture in the lower part of the walls.

The drawers have lost masonry plaster mortar of lime and sand have suffered cement rendering.

Ethnological interest

It is a building of the mid XVIII century showing the transformations along the S. XIX.

Also interesting are the set of volumes of the head, the front and the wall of the chapel paintings.

Assessment
8
Owner
Diocese of Almería